Quality, elegant interface, and user-friendliness are a few cornerstones of Mac and the reasons why users love to use Mac OS. However, when it comes to email application, the demand drifts a bit to MS Outlook from Apple Mail.
Therefore, Microsoft has provided Mac users with Outlook for Mac 2011. So, if you are an Apple Mail user and want to enjoy the thrilling features and flexibility of Outlook, you are free to upgrade. However, while you upgrade Apple Mail to Outlook for Mac 2011, you need to come across three stages. Here are the details about importing email messages, rules, signatures, accounts, calendars, and address book from Apple Mail to Outlook, let’s take a look.
At the first stage of the process, you need to import emails, rules, accounts and signatures of Apple Mail. Carry out the given steps:
- Close Apple Mail.
- Start Outlook.
- Go to the menu bar, click ‘File’, and then click ‘Import’.
- Click on ‘Information from another application’ and click the right-arrow, located at the bottom right of the dialog box.
- Select ‘Apple Mail’, and again click on the right arrow.
- Select the items that have to be imported, click right arrow.
- Click ‘Finish’.
The next stage of the process requires you to import iCal calendar events and to-do items as iCal is not integrated with Apple Mail. Note that Outlook 2011 for Mac is able to import the iCal events saved with .ics format. Moreover, if you have created categories for items in iCal, disable it by selecting the ‘Uncategorized’ checkbox because importing categories to Outlook is not possible. Do the following to initiate the process:
- Open iCal, click ‘File’, and then click on ‘Export’. Again, click ‘Export’.
- Give a name to the exported file in ‘Save as’ field.
- Specify a location where you want to save the file in the ‘Where’ pop-up and click ‘Export’.
- In Outlook, click ‘Calendar’ located at the bottom. You can also press Command-2 to open the Calendar in Outlook.
- Look for the .ics file through Finder and drag it to Outlook Calendar list.
The third and last stage will import Apple Mail Address Book contacts into Outlook 2011.
- Open Apple Address Book and select the contacts that you want to import into Outlook and copy the selected items to desktop, the file will be saved as vCard.
- In Outlook 2011, click ‘Contacts’ located at the bottom or you may also press Command-3 to open Contacts.
- Drag the file that you saved on desktop and drop it into Outlook Contacts list.
This is how you can easily finish the import process. However, if you face any issues, choose a professional Apple Mail to Outlook 2011 converter.